Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ex-UM Update

To All Ex-UM players,

... especially to "early generation" Ex-UM players (i.e. graduated in 90's)

How are you all doing? Where are you all staying/working now? How many kids already?

The rest of us had a very nice lunch gathering organized by Lee Teng last Sunday. It was really nice to catch up with each other. Pity you all were not there too.

FYI, Foong Hing and I now have 4 boys, Brian (11), Aaron (9), Eric (7) and baby Sean (2). Foong Hing says “enough” already so that should be it la. Foong Hing has left legal practice many years ago and joined Talam Corp (Developer) then MBf Unit Trust and now (as Compliance and Legal Manager) at MAA KL Mutual Unit Trust. I had been in legal practice in the same law firm (Christina Chia Ng & Partners) for many, many years (14 years!) but finally left them Sept 2007 and joined WCT Engineering Berhad (a construction company) as their Legal Senior Manager, Head of Legal Affairs Dept.

My older boys are now into basketball as well. Brian, Aaron and Eric’s school has a very good, professional basketball coach (national junior (U-12) coach) and they are learning really good fundamentals at a very young age. Brian and Aaron has taken part in several basketball competitions organized by the school. But then, my boys are into almost everything … badminton, swimming, cycling, football, track and field, taekwando, jungle tracking … Foong Hing & my weekend are scheduled around fetching them to this or that activity … Daddy/Mummy = driver!

Myself, I am still coaching UM boys’ team. Since I took over coaching UM team (way back in 1995!), we had always been competitive … at least making it out of the first round each year (save one) … losing in quarters another year but usually making it to semi or finals. We finally had some success last year, winning the MASUM (Inter-U) basketball competition for the first time after 17 years. The last time UM won the MASUM was in my 2nd year (and Kit/Gai’s first year!!) 17 years ago!!! Last year’s victory was an especially meaningful victory as UM beat a UPM team in the finals that had 7 national junior players … team work vs. individual talent. This year’s MASUM competition will be from May 21-28, at UMS, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Centralized training will be in UM from May 4-20.

I have also started this blog for current and ex UM basketball team.

During the lunch last Sunday, we met Aik Huey’s daughter, See Kok Loong’s daughter, Kit/Peng Peng’s daughter … who’s character reminded me so much of Peng Peng when she was in UM …, Renee’s daughter and Gan’s son. I've already posted a picture of the kids in an earlier post. I’ll leave them to tell us all more about their current situation, their lives, work and their kids.

Guys … please email updates (preferably with pictures) to me at lykhor@pc.jaring.my and I will upload here.

In the meantime, below is a recent picture of our kids and Foong Hing and I. Brian is already almost as tall as the Mummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment